Neurofeedback and Biofeedback
What is Neurofeedback?
Neurofeedback, a type of biofeedback, is a non-invasive therapy that helps a person to learn to control their brainwaves to address a symptom of a mental or physical health disorder. Neurofeedback sensors and software together provide instantaneous feedback about an individual’s brainwave state via auditory and visual cues to the individual. These cues are given while an individual is playing a video game or watching a movie. This instantaneous feedback allows one to learn to control (speed up or slow down) brainwaves in a targeted brain network or brain region. Neurofeedback is used by board-certified clinicians in treating symptoms of epilepsy, ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, sleep issues, and other challenges. The DSM-5 recognizes the relevance of EEG in discussing how, in many cases of ADHD, there is a higher intensity of slow wave activity in the frontal cortex of the brain than is present in the normative population.
What is a qEEG?
Quantitative electro-encephalogram (qEEG), also referred to as brain-mapping, is a non-invasive way of imaging the brain. In planning for neurofeedback treatment, a qEEG is evaluated by a neurologist and a board-certified neurofeedback clinician to comprehensively assess for causes of neurological and mental health challenge so that treatment can be targeted to abnormal brain networks and/or brain regions.
Who can benefit from Neurofeedback?
Children, youth, adults and older adults are all regularly served at Better State of Mind. Often symptoms of various conditions are being targeted including anxiety, ADD/ADHD, mood disorders, PTSD/Traumas, substance abuse, ASD/Autism. Neurofeedback is a method highly recommended by Bessel Van Der Kolk in The Body Keeps the Score and it has been a real game-changer for so many people having trauma symptoms.
Better State of Mind services are the top standards of care:
(1) All neurofeedback providers are board-certified by Biofeedback International Certification Alliance (BCIA) as well as the QEEG Diplomate board.
(2) Services include evaluation of brain-map by a licensed neurologist to provide a comprehensive assessment of the brain disorders
(3) A neurofeedback treatment plan is created using a brain-map instead of being based on a subjective feeling
(4) Using FDA cleared equipment
(5) Options for supervised home training options allow for maximal efficacy (and also cost-efficacy for clients) and accessibility
Costs for brain-map (qEEG) and neurofeedback
A neurofeedback session costs $175.00.
A brain map package costs $875.00. This package includes:
(1) Two-hour brain map recording session using an FDA cleared EEG amplifier
(2) Professional editing of the raw data by a board-certified neurofeedback clinician
(3) A formal report provided by a licensed neurologist that rules out neurological EEG abnormalities if indicated by results of the EEG
(4) Sophisticated software analyses of the edited and cleaned data using including spectral analyses, Z-scored FFT, coherence and connectivity analyses
(5) Consultation with a board-certified clinician on the results/indications of the qEEG brain map
Duration of care
Neurofeedback is a long-term therapy, whose effects are trained to be lasting so that they do not need to be maintained after the course of treatment. Most commonly neurofeedback therapy is provided for about 30 sessions, with sessions occurring once or twice a week. However, for more severe cases, therapy may continue well beyond 30 sessions.
Neurofeedback therapy is a word that is often used as a "catch all" for many types of wellness devices and very different modalities, few of which actually relate to the body of peer-reviewed literature created over six decades of regarding neurofeedback. Furthermore, not all neurofeedback practitioners have adequate training or knowledge in neurofeedback therapy.
Better State of Mind #1 in Washington, DC
Better State of Mind provides the top-quality and comprehensive qEEG (brain map) and neurofeedback services. Clients may have their brain maps evaluated by an MD neurologist who is licensed to medically evaluate for a more comprehensive analysis where relevant. Bar Lehmann, the director, has the highest credentialing for qEEG (brain mapping) neurofeedback in all of Washington, DC. These credentials include not only a BCN (Biofeedback Certification International Alliance) but also the advanced QEEG-D certification. Bar Lehmann was mentored by the world-renowned QEEG expert, Jay Gunkelman, for his QEEG Diplomate certification. He furthermore has years of experience working at different neurofeedback clinics as a neurofeedback clinician before opening Better State of Mind. Better State of Mind collaborates with various other seasoned neurofeedback professionals at the Mid Atlantic Biofeedback Society and the International Society for Neuroregulation and Research, both of which he is an active member. He also contributes to research at Georgetown University on EEG and epilepsy.
Learn more about Neurofeedback
What is Neurofeedback
Neurofeedback Research in the treatment of symptoms of some disorders
Research Efficacy Ratings of Neurofeedback by condition